Subject file: correspondence from Arcanist Arthyr Tyndyll.
Hi mum and dad,
It has now been two weeks since I finished Arcanist basic training. I am currently on the move to a Retribution training facility. The lads back at the Vyre workshops let me keep my multi tool, which is nice of them. Soon I will get to meet my first Shyeel myrmidon. Anyway write to you soon.
1. Arcanists are not particularly special at anything. They have the most basic military training. If you are lucky and in really dire straits they might hit something with their multi tool. If your even luckier they might kill it
So I have been in advanced training now for 3 days. Already they have taught me how to power booster a myrmidon. My mate Byll power boostered a construction myrm over in the dynamics department, thing nearly burnt a hole right through the steel plates it was welding. Also we have learnt to Concentrate Power on the jacks. Wow what a difference it makes that additional strength, we tried it on the coffee machine but it just burnt the beans.
2. Arcanists have 2 primary abilities. Power booster and Concentrated power. Either of these options is usually infinitely better than using their multi tool to hit things. This is because using their multi tool aggressively will usually result in death. Whenever a jack is going to hit something an Arcanist should concentrated power it.
A general rule is if you are at dice + (X) and it doesn't have extra focus, power booster it, the extra attack or boosted damage roll should be more effective. If it has extra focus or you are at dice - (X) then concentrated power it.
Obviously you can't power booster something that already has focus on it, but we all knew that.
Also sometimes hitting with one attack is more important than doing damage, at these times a power booster will save a focus on your war caster and achieve the same effect.
Hi mum, dad. I had some interesting news this week, I don't know if I like it. Apparently it's common for the enemies of the Retribution to have their Arcanists (mechanics they call them) go through advanced battle training. So far all I have learnt to do is power booster, concentrated power and repair them. They say these mechanics come in whole units of their own sometimes. Sometimes they are taught how to use the warjack for extra protection or even make it attack and in some cases they can even shoot bolts of magic! Why can't I do any of that? It's just me and Byll! They haven't taught us any of these abilities and yet we are still expected to make repairs in the field.
3. Arcanists are delicate flowers. Treasure them. Keep them as far from harm as is practically possible and only use them to repair when the situation absolutely requires it. They have the least defense, armor, hit points and defensive tech (none) out of all of their contemporaries in other factions.
It's been 3 months now. My training was over 2 months ago. I make an amazing coffee. The same can't be said for Byll. We had an engagement the other week and he was standing too close to a Banshee when a mortar hit it. Then this insane horseman came crashing through the woods duel wielding Orgoth fell blades. Well I'm not paid enough to deal with that so as soon as he got too close I ran for it. My commanders were not happy about it, they said I had a prerogative to hold the line. But I made them some pretty awesome coffee and they said I am re assigned.
4. You only get 2 Arcanists use them wisely. Arcanists are not stupid, thus they are not fearless. Most things in Retribution are not fearless. Be careful.
Dear Mr and Mrs Tyndyll. It is our duty and great misfortune to inform you that your son Arthyr was killed in action. A Retribution cell was engaging a known Cryx threat where he was cut down by a Bane Thrall. Your son died with honor attempting to secure a point of control long enough for reinforcements to arrive. The surrounding unit had been wiped out and the myrmidon which he was attending was wrecked, with great courage Arthyr bravely fought on. It is with great pride we wish to tell you his sacrifice was not in vain and reinforcements came to secure victory. Arthyr Tyndyll will always be remembered as a hero who gave his all for his country and his goddess Scyrah.
5. Although a pansy and a wimp, Arcanists have been known to do great things. When the jacks are down and they have no remaining task, sometimes if things are getting to the wire, sometimes they can do amazing things. Like kill a bane thrall and contest a zone long enough for you to counter attack. Or simply make a sweet final cup of joe and wait for oblivion, directly in front of something that would otherwise charge and smash your war caster to tiny bits, if it were not for a rather annoying, complacent looking elf wielding a menacing cup of coffee that is now parked in his way.
|The beans of his brew, now scattered and lost like our gods.|